Dienstag, 28. Januar 2014

Pete Seeger 1919 - 2014


Yesterday Pete Seeger died at the age of 94. Not that I was a great fan of his music or folk music at all I felt a little sad about the news. I connect his songs with the times of the protest and peace movements. Not that his well known songs are very political I paid respect to his political statements. He has been a member of a Communist Party and was blacklisted during the McCarthy era so that his song could not be played over the radio stations. He had to play in clubs and churches instead. He was also in the American Civil Right movement in the 60s. One of his finest songs is for sure Where have all the flowers gone that was recorded by many artists in many languages. I don't have any record from Pete Seeger so here is a version by the great Marlene Dietrich.

RIP

Marlene Dietrich - Sag mir wo die Blumen sind

Keine Kommentare: