Mittwoch, 4. Oktober 2017

Forgotten Gems

the flys

A few days ago I rummaged for a record and suddenly I held a very old record in my hand. It was Waikiki Beach Refugees by The Flys from 1979. You might know what happened then. On sometimes memories came back and I remembered a lot of great songs from this band. The Flys were one of the first British punk rock bands, formed in 1976 in Coventry. In their early days the were the opening band for the Buzzcocks and released a few singles/EP's. I noticed them a few years later buying Waikiki Beach Refugees. It was on heavy rotation in these days at my home. I loved their perfect combination of power-pop and Damned-influenced punk-rock. Their songs are much more than another 1234-punk-rock style and lyrics still have high quality for an unknown band. Sadly the never got the critical acclaim they should have. These songs still work great after all this years. I don't know if it is a start for a new series but probably will.

The Flys - 16 Down
The Flys - Civilization
The Flys - Love and a Molotow Cocktail
The Flys - I don't know
The Flys - Got you where I want you

And another one from an early Peel-session:
The Flys - Frenzy is 23


3 Kommentare:

Charity Chic hat gesagt…

Saw them life and had a badge of theirs but no music. So thanks for this Walter

Submit hat gesagt…
Dieser Kommentar wurde vom Autor entfernt.
Anonym hat gesagt…

A band I had completely forgotten about. Thanks Walter.